Skip to main content

Further education and employment

It's difficult juggling work and study whilst caring for someone. There is support out there to help and we want to make sure you know what you are entitled to.

Financial support

As a young carer, you may be entitled to grants and bursaries to support you while studying. These are awarded to help give you the chance to go to university or college. There are two types of bursary:

  • Vulnerable Student Bursary: you could be eligible for up to £1,200 if are in receipt of Universal Credit, Income Support, in care or a care leaver. You may also be entitled to apply for the bursary if you receive Disability Living Allowance and either Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit, or Personal Independent Payments and either ESA or Universal Credit.
  • Discretionary Bursary: each college or training provider has their own criteria. Speak to the finance office for more information. You may be able to apply if you are aged over 19 but continuing on a course you started while aged 16-19.

Applying to university or college as a young carer

Applying to university or college

Caring responsibilities can provide you with lots of transferable skills to outline in your personal statement, such as time-keeping, organisational skills and managing a heavy workload.

For more information about applying to university or college, including how to write a personal statement and what support is available for young carers, see the UCAS website.

Young carer University

Your rights at work

Everyone has rights that are protected by law. These include basic sick pay, shared parental, maternity and paternity pay after adopting or giving birth to a baby, time off for emergencies, protection against unfair dismissal, and the right to request flexible working.

In addition, you may also have more generous allowances set out in your contract. For example, your employer may grant longer periods of sick pay, maternity or paternity leave than the basic legal amount.

For more information about your rights as a carer when working, see Carers UK.

young carers education quote cropped

Don’t stop trying to make your dreams come true Don’t stop tryingto make yourdreams come true


Flexible working is when an employee works shifts according to their needs. This might mean starting work later, leaving earlier, or working from home on occasion. All employees have the right to request flexible working. The company is required by law to consider your request if you have been employed with them for over 26 weeks.

For more information about flexible working, how to submit a request, and what to do if your request is refused, see Citizens Advice.

Education assessment

young carers assesment

Moving into adulthood

A transitions assessment aims to help you plan your future when you turn 18. In the assessment, you can talk about what you want to do for work or education, and what support you may need to get there.

Having a goal to work towards can help you work out what you need to get there. Download our Aspirations Ladder to help you map out your 'steps to success'.