Skip to main content

Debt and money problems

Owing money to companies, banks or people can often feel scary and might be causing you to worry. But it doesn’t have to be like this, there is information and support out there that can help you get out of debt or manage your money more easily. 

Where can I go for money advice?

If you are having problems with money, speak to someone you trust — a friend, family member or a free debt advice agency such as Stepchange or Citizen's Advice. They can work with you to find the best solution for all of your money problems. 

If you are already worried about money or owing people money then you should be wary of private companies offering to combine your debts. Some companies offer to arrange different debts into a single loan with one monthly payment. This might sound tempting, but it’s risky and the fees are high and you could end up owing more than you already do. 

Taking control of your problems 

Taking control

Don’t ignore the letters or calls from the people you owe money. They won't just go away. Best thing to do is get some independent and confidential money advice. 

A debt advice provider like Stepchange or Citizen's Advice can work with you to create a budget so you can see where money is going each month and what needs to be prioritised. It will help you feel in control of your finances and on the road to being debt free.

boy smiling purple jumper
young man yellow hoody giving piggyback to girl happy

Mental health and well‑being A‑Z

Are you looking to learn more about a particular mental health issue? Our mental health resources are co-designed by young people and mental health professionals. They help make sense of issues that are more common than you might think.

Breathing space

group young people outside smiling

What is a breathing space?

Sometimes companies will offer a breathing space to people who are struggling to pay their bills. A breathing space is a short period of time when you won’t have to repay your debt, you can get your money in order without the worry of rising fees or intimidating bailiffs coming to your house. Ask the company you owe money to if a breathing space is possible. 

Money advice helplines

The following organisations provide great free, independent advice for anyone who is struggling: 

  • Call Stepchange on 0800 138 1111 for expert advice on debt management
  • Call Citizen's Advice on 03444 111 444 for information and advice on money and other legal issues.