Sometimes you may find it difficult to do homework or coursework, or to do revision for exams because of all the caring tasks you are doing

Teenage boy and girl in school uniform laughing

If you are struggling to keep up with your homework at school, you can always ask to join your school club for extra help.  

Some young carers projects have homework clubs too - visit our projects page‌ to find out if there is one near you. You can also visit these sites for homework, coursework and revision help:

  • Grid Club ‌- The site contains an up-to-the-minute news section and a library offering help with homework as well as puzzles and quizzes
  • BBC Bitesize - Offers help with revision for GCSEs and other exams, including games and quizzes
  • Encyclopædia Britannica - Offers online information on a variety of topics and subjects.

'I don't have time to do my homework… I just can't keep up at school'

What to do if you need help

It is really important that you talk to your school and let them know what is happening at home. You could ask your parent/s to talk to the school, or talk to a teacher or member of staff that you get on well with and ask them for help with your schoolwork and deadlines. You can let them know about the Young Carers in Schools Programme that can help them put the right support in place for you and other young carers.

You may also want to ask to talk to the school counsellor. They should be able to help you with any issues you are having at school or at home.

'I can't go to school today, I'm worried about leaving mum on her own'

Sometimes you may feel that you cannot leave the person who is ill on their own so you can go to school.

It is very important that you talk to someone if this is happening. Try talking to your GP or another adult that you trust. It may be that the person you look after could get more help from the local council so you won't have to worry so much about leaving them or doing so much for them.

'I get bullied at school, no one understands what it's like for me'

If you feel you are being bullied at school, it is very important that you talk to a teacher or school counsellor to get help. No one should feel they have to put up with bullies. If you can't speak to a teacher, try contacting Kidscape for help; you could also ring Childline (0800 1111) or the Samaritans (08457 90 90 90).

Take a look at our project page‌ to see if there is a young carers' project near you. They will be able to give you information about the kind of help your family might be able to get. If there isn't a project near you then visit your GP or ring your local social services department. The telephone number will be in the phone book under the name of your town or county. E.g. Social services in Hampshire will be under H; Wandsworth, London will be under W.

What can my school do?

School life can be tough for any young person, but being a young carer can throw even more challenges your way. We think that schools should support young carers so that you can all reach your potential, no matter what you are facing.

With the help of young carers across England, we have developed the Young Carers in Schools programme which seeks to empower schools to help and support young carers within their school. Schools can evidence what they are doing and apply for an award.

The Young Carers in Schools programme is an England-wide initiative that aims to make it as easy as possible for schools to build capacity, share learning and gain recognition for supporting young carers and their families.