Programme manager: Donna Chadwick
The Children's Society in Oldham was established in 1987 as a result of locally identified needs on the Holts Village Estate, an area characterized by high levels of social deprivation and social exclusion.
The programme has developed to deliver services that remain relevant and responsive to the needs of children, young people and families in the geographical areas of Oldham, Manchester and Salford.
Holts Village Project currently provides the following programmes of work:
- Resolve Children's Counselling Service – works with children and young people aged 5-19 who have experienced, or are currently exposed to, domestic violence and sexual abuse. Through one-to-one counselling with a qualified and experience counsellor, children and young people are supported to develop personal safety plans, including identifying where they can get help, mapping their personal support networks, focusing on their strengths and building their self-esteem.
- Oldham Children's Rights Service – the team work with children and young people aged 5-18 years residing in residential care, foster care or with extended family and friends. Oldham Children's Rights Service offers an advocacy service, independent visitor service and children's rights service.
- Manchester Missing from Home Service – Safe in the City – provides information, support, advice and advocacy services to children and young people in Manchester under 18 years of age who are running away or at risk of running away from home or care. Safe in the City offers a confidential service allowing children and young people to talk about their experiences and enable them to make safer choices and decisions.
- Salford Missing from Home Service – the team carry out need and risk assessments with children, young people and families, provide structured one-to-one programmes of support and carry out preventative awareness raising sessions in schools and refer to other specialist agencies.
- Oldham Missing from Home Service provides intensive support to young people who are at risk of or who have gone missing from home. We also offer parenting support to the parents of children and young people using our service.