We understand it's not always easy to get support, but we're here to offer any help you need

Teenage girl and project worker

The advocacy service is a great way for children and young people to be heard. The team are here to ensure your views and wishes are listened to. Contact us if you'd like to find out more about getting an advocate to support you, or just for a chat about our work. 

How do I contact Tower Hamlets Children’s Rights Service?

You can contact your advocacy service by phone, text or email:

T: 0208 221 8234

M: 07958 234612

E: TowerHamletsAdvocacy@childrenssociety.org.uk

One of our advocates will get back to you as soon as possible.

Our usual working hours are Monday to Friday 9am–5pm.

  • If you need to speak to someone urgently, you can contact Childline at any time 0800 1111.
  • Tower Hamlets out of hours emergency duty social worker on 0207 364 5006

If you would like to find out more about the service, just give us a call. We work with all young people of all backgrounds, so don't worry about contacting us for a chat. 

Tower Hamlets Children’s Rights Service, 21–23 Broadway, Stratford, London E15 4BQ

Other useful contacts

The London Borough of Tower Hamlets (LBTH) website

Meet the team:

Maggie Lawlor, Children’s Rights Advocate (Disability)
t: 0208 221 8223 M: 07714 684 755
Deborah Grout, Children’s Rights Advocate
t: 0208 221 8234 M: 07958 234 612
Sarah Hegarty, Advocacy Service Manager
t: 0208 221 8208 M: 07715 511 296

Help with a complaint:

Whether you’re in care or living with your family and have support from social services, sometimes things do not go as you might hope, for example you may be unhappy with the care you are receiving or unhappy about a decision made by your social worker.

Many problems can be sorted out by talking to someone you trust. This could be a foster carer, key worker, social worker, reviewing officer, teacher or an advocate.

If you are still unhappy and don’t feel the problem has been sorted out, you have the right to make a complaint.

How do I make a complaint?

  • Tell a professional you can trust
  • Put it in writing – you could write a letter or use the Tower Hamlets social services complaints leaflet which has a complaints form attached and is free to post.

Both of these can be done with the help of an advocate.

Complaints leaflets are available at any Tower Hamlets council office and at towerhamlets.gov.uk

How can an advocate help me make a complaint?

  1. An advocate can help you to write a letter of complaint or fill in a Tower Hamlets social services complaints leaflet
  2. When the complaints officer at Tower Hamlets social services gets your letter they will write to you to say your complaint is being looked into
  3. You will get a letter of reply from Tower Hamlets social services within two weeks
  4. Your advocate can follow it up if you don’t get a reply

What if I am not happy with the reply to my complaint?

You can ask for your complaint to be looked into by an independent person who doesn’t work for Tower Hamlets social services. Your advocate can help you ask for this to happen. Your advocate can help you to decide what to do next if you are still not happy.