Across England, nearly two million children in poverty live in homes that miss out on a key benefit to help pay for energy costs. We're working to make sure that people are aware of this benefit.
Known as the Warm Home Discount, this benefit provides a £140 payment towards a low-income family's energy bills.
Our Behind Cold Doors report identified that last winter, nearly 2 million children living in poverty were in families that missed out on the Warm Home Discount. The impact of this was further reinforced by our Show Some Warmth report, published this month, which showed that children in families in energy debt were three times more likely to have been ill last winter than other children.
Use our Warm Home Discount calculator
We have created a calculator to help you find out whether you may be eligible for the Warm Home Discount this winter. (The Government announced last week that the qualification process will be simplified next winter.)
To use the calculator, put in details of your household circumstances and your energy supplier, and the calculator will give you an idea of your entitlement.
Be aware that energy companies close eligibilty for the scheme as winter progresses. E.on, Scottish Power and SSE have told us that they have closed their scheme. Schemes will be reopen for next winter, with a simplified process for applying for the scheme. Your energy company may have the date for when their scheme becomes available next winter. Even if your provider’s scheme has closed you may want to get in touch with them to let them know you are interested.
If you want to find out more about your energy company’s warm home discount scheme, please contact your energy company directly. We have contact information for the following energy providers:
- British Gas
- E.on - closed their scheme for winter 2014-15
- Scottish Power - closed their scheme for winter 2014-15
- SSE - closed their scheme for winter 2014-15
Find out more about the Warm Home Discount scheme on the Gov.uk website.
Details about our calculator and warm home discount eligibility
Please note that we have done our best to make this calculator accurate and useful, but we are still testing it – if you notice any problems or any error, please let us know.
Regardless of the result this calculator generates, if you need help with your energy bills you may want to get in touch with your energy company, or an independent advice provider, to ask what help may be available. The Government requires some energy companies to provide and fund the warm home discount to their customers who are:
- Low-income pensioners – who should have the money credited automatically to their bill.
- Some other households (for example, people on low income or living with disability). Eligibility for this broader group is currently (within limits) at the discretion of their energy supplier. In these cases, you need to ask for help, and even if you are eligible, the energy company is not obliged to provide the discount in every case, since the amount of support available is limited.
Warm Home Discount calculator