Ensuring your voice is heard

A boy takes his shopping home on a council estate

If you are looked after or in the care by Torbay Council's Children’s Services, remember you have the right to an advocate to help look after your rights, to have a say in decisions that affect your life, to be listened to, taken seriously and to be treated fairly.

If you’re in the care system and aged 8-17, our advocacy team at CheckPoint can be your advocate.

Our Children's Rights Service is an independent, confidential service for children and young people looked after (CLA) by Torbay Council's Children's Services.

Who is an advocate?

An advocate is a person who can help you say if you don't like something or if you don't agree with a decision that affects your life.

Advocates are independent, which means they don't work for the Council or Children's Services.

Advocates are confidential, which means they will not tell anyone what you say to them without agreement, unless there is something that might cause harm to you or someone else.

What can an advocate do?

  • Help you sort out your problem or worry.
  • Listen to you and help you understand your rights.
  • Help make sure you are treated fairly.
  • Help you say what you think about things.
  • Help you make sure other people are listening to what you have to say.
  • Help you to be involved with your care plan.
  • Support you if you are thinking of making a complaint.

Your rights

When you are looked after or in the care of Children's Services, you have the right to:

  • use an Advocate to help look after your rights
  • have a say in decisions that affect your life
  • be listened to and taken seriously
  • not be hurt or abused
  • be treated fairly, whatever your race, religion, sexuality, gender, language or disability
  • have your health or extra support need met
  • get the most out of your school or college

Useful tools

We have two tools that can help when meeting with an advocate:

  • Advocacy tool
  • Outcomes tool

What can we do to help you?

Talk to us about getting an advocate.

Contact us today.