Organising a house-to-house or street collection? Be sure to read the guidance below to help you prepare for your collection

 Two people with collection buckets

House to house

House-to-house collections are a great way to raise money. Simply drop collection envelopes through letterboxes in your local area, then come back at a later date to pick them up. If you are doing a house-to-house collection, please be aware of the following:

  1. If you carry out a house-to-house collection between Saturday 8 and Saturday 22 April, you will be covered by our Order of Exemption from the Cabinet Office. If you want to do a house-to-house collection outside of these dates, you will need to apply to your local council for permission to do so.
  2. Everyone who is collecting will need to wear an ID badge to identify them as a collector for The Children’s Society. These can be ordered free from us. To place an order, simply or give us a call on 0300 3030 555 (8am–9pm Mon-Fri and 9am-6pm Sat–Sun).
  3. Remember that you should never knock on doors where there is a “No cold calling” sign. 

For more information on registering your collection, additional guidance and FAQs, please see our Collections Co-Ordinators’ Pack.

Street collections

Collecting with a collection box in your local community is a great way to raise lots of money in a short space of time. Best of all, it is easy and fun to do!

You could collect outside your local football stadium on match day, in a supermarket or town centre or at a railway or bus station – anywhere where there are a lot of people.

If you plan to organise a collection in the street, it is best to contact the local authority for advice on whether you need a license. If you call their switchboard and explain your intention to collect for The Children’s Society and proposed location, they should be able to put you through to the correct department.

Collections from private properties

You will need to obtain permission in writing from the owner/manager of any private property, such as your local supermarket. They will be able to advise you as to whether you will need a license from your local authority. To help you we have a template letter to shop managers for you to use.