For over 130 years, our volunteers and fundraisers have been changing the lives of this country’s children and young people
We support vulnerable young people to deal with a range of issues, including:
- Child sexual exploitation
- Children in care
- Children’s mental health and emotional well-being
- Children who go missing
- Substance misuse
Today, thanks to the support of amazing people like you, we are able to help thousands of children escape the devastating cycle of poverty, abuse and neglect.
In the past year
Last year our services directly helped over 18,000 children and young people, while our campaign wins will contribute to 5.6 million positive changes – giving vulnerable children up and down the country the hope of a brighter future.
Thanks to our supporters and volunteers, we’re able to run vital services in local communities where they are needed most.
Our services are designed to respond to vulnerable children’s needs and provide intensive one-to-one support and group sessions to help children rebuild their lives and have a better future.
We work hand-in-hand with children and young people, and we listen to their voices so that we can build services that work for them.
‘If The Children’s Society wasn’t here then we’d have no one to talk to or turn to.’
-Emily, young person
Jenny is one of the many children you've helped
Jenny was physically and emotionally abused by her stepmum for over five years – she was regularly beaten, had cigarettes thrown in her face and bleach flung in her eyes. Eventually Jenny was referred to The Children’s Society because she was very angry, misusing drink and drugs, and arguing with her family.
We supported Jenny to reduce her drug taking and drinking. She also saw a counsellor who helped her cope with her emotions better. We helped Jenny find emergency accommodation, and she is now at college studying to be a hairdresser.
As well as running services, we also campaign to make children’s lives happier and safer.
By bringing our supporters and partners together, we collectively campaign and drive change for children and young people in the UK.
Our recent campaigns include:
- Handle with Care – a campaign to help children in care who are being placed far from home, without the support they need. Our recommendations have now been agreed by 10 local authorities in Greater Manchester.
- Make Runaways Safe – we changed policy by steering a national campaign on behalf of the 100,000 young people who run away each year. All councils must now offer young runaways a mandatory 'return interview', to identify and help provide the support they need.
- Seriously Awkward – we’re calling on the Government to introduce better legal protection for 16 and 17 year olds, who are currently being let down by the law and not getting the same basic protections as younger children to keep them safe form harm and exploitation.
Thanks to campaign actions taken by our amazing supporters, we’ve made vital breakthroughs that have benefitted millions of this country’s children and young people.
Our supporters do extraordinary things for vulnerable children
From carol singing to Bake and Brews, from campaigning to skydiving: our supporters have done many wonderful things in the name of The Children’s Society over the past year. We couldn’t help the thousands of children that we do without your fantastic support.
If you would like to read more about any of the ways that you can get involved with our work, please click on the links below:
- Becoming a campaign champion
- Joining or running a house box network
- Becoming involved with student fundraising
- Joining a committee
- Becoming a volunteer
- Taking part in our Collection for Children
- Supporting our appeals
- Taking part in a challenge event
- Becoming a speaker
- Holding Bake and Brew
- Making a gift in your will
- Holding an event to raise funds or awareness of our work
- Making plans to hold or attend a Christingle or carol sing on our behalf
The work we’re doing together is making a huge difference to young people up and down the country, so on behalf of the children whose lives have been transformed because of supporters like you: THANK YOU.