Gluten-free almond and orange cake
This lovely citrus cake is brilliant to have at your Bake and Brew event as it will mean those who are intolerant to gluten need not miss out. It tastes so good that everyone will want to try and bit. Let us know how you get on. Happy baking!
- 2 large oranges (organic and unwaxed if possible)
- 4 eggs (white and yolks separated)
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g ground almond
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of almond essence (optional)
- Flaked almonds for decorating Icing sugar, sifted, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Grease a 20cm round springform pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Put the oranges in a saucepan on low heat with 2 table spoons of water. Leave for 30-60 minutes until soft.
- When the oranges are soft, blend to form a pulpy juice.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Add ground almonds, desiccated coconut, orange mixture, cinnamon and almond essence.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into mixture until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pan, smooth the surface and sparsely scatter the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake for 1 hour (after 30 minutes increase the oven temperature to 160°C). The cake is ready when a skewer is inserted into the centre and comes out clean.
- Set aside in pan to cool completely and then dust with icing sugar.