This gluten-free cake recipe tastes so good that everyone will want to try a bit of this yummy citrus cake.
- 2 large oranges (organic and unwaxed if possible)
- 4 eggs (white and yolks separated)
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g ground almond
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of almond essence (optional)
- Flaked almonds for decorating Icing sugar, sifted, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Grease a 20cm round springform pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Put the oranges in a saucepan on low heat with 2 table spoons of water. Leave for 30-60 minutes until soft.
- When the oranges are soft, blend to form a pulpy juice.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Add ground almonds, desiccated coconut, orange mixture, cinnamon and almond essence.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into mixture until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pan, smooth the surface and sparsely scatter the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake for 1 hour (after 30 minutes increase the oven temperature to 160°C). The cake is ready when a skewer is inserted into the centre and comes out clean.
- Set aside in pan to cool completely and then dust with icing sugar.