A very simple and effective way of supporting us is to keep one of our collection boxes in your home. These regular and reliable funds help us raise over £2 million each year.
Fiona Cairns' lemon cupcakes
Fiona Cairns, baking extraordinaire and creator of Prince William and Kate's wedding cake, has kindly donated this lovely recipe for lemon cupcakes. If it's good enough for royalty, it's good enough for us! Pretty simple and super yummy.
- 200g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200g very soft unsalted butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest, finely grated
- Line 2 x 12-hole bun trays with silver cake cases
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (170ºC fan oven, Gas Mark 4)
- Put all the ingredients except the lemon juice in a food processor and whiz until just combined. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest, and briefly whiz again
- Divide the mixture between the cake cases and bake for 10–12 minutes, until springy to the touch. It will seem like a scant amount of mixture in each case but you need to leave room for the icing
Makes: 24 cakes