Easy cupcakes from ‘You Can Cook’ DK
This is a basic cupcake recipe. You can change the ingredients slightly to make different-flavoured cakes, or add all sorts of icings and decorations so every cake is a mini masterpiece.
- 110g butter at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Quarter tsp salt
- 2 eggs (medium)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F / Gas 4. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl; and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla and add to the bowl. Beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Fillings and flavours
Add a filling to the cupcake by cutting a cone from the middle of each cake with a serrated knife. Fill the hole with jam, lemon curd or one of these fabulous fillings:
Raspberry and chocolate cupcakes: Fill each cake with 1 tsp seedless raspberry jam and ice with chocolate buttercream.
Lemon cupcakes: Fill each with 1 tsp lemon curd. Ice with lemon buttercream.
Caramel cupcakes: Fill each with 1 tsp dulche de leche, ice with a single quantity of vanilla buttercream and top with sliced banana
Chocolate cream cupcakes: Mix 75g mascarpone with 2 tbsp double ceam and quarter tsp vanilla. Put 1 tsp of this in the centre of each cupcake. Ice with chocolate buttercream.
Then...ice the cake with buttercream icing.
It’s the icing that makes them special. Swirl it on using a piping bag and nozzle – but practise on a plate first
For plain buttercream, beat 110g (4 oz) butter until soft, then beat in 110g (4oz) icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
For vanilla buttercream, add half teaspoon vanilla extract and beat to combine.
For lemon buttercream, beat in 1 tbsp lemon juice - add 1 tsp at a time and taste after each addition.
For chocolate buttercream, beat in quarter tsp vanilla, 60g (2oz) melted and cooled milk chocolate and 2 tbsp cocoa powder