Kenilworth committee's theatre event
Our Kenilworth committee organises a wonderful annual event at their town theatre. As the chair of the group, Margaret, explains:
'We purchase tickets from the theatre at a discounted price and then sell them to others, to make a profit to donate to The Children's Society.
'The theatre holds these evenings for charities, and then it's the committee's challenge to sell as many tickets to the event as possible. Going out and finding people to buy tickets is really the only organising involved in the event.
'We also get raffle prizes donated, to make a little extra on the night. Just let people know the kind of event you are hosting and who it will benefit and you will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of donations you get!'
Organisation and promotion tips
You can organise your own theatre evening. The Kenilworth committee's suggestions include:
- The event can be promoted by putting ads in the local papers as well as local church magazines
- Word of mouth is the main way to promote the event
- It's best to choose a popular show, which makes it easier to sell tickets
- It costs nothing for the committee to put on the event, just a little time and lots or persuasion!
'Theatre evenings can be lovely community events. Many friends and family of committee members buy tickets, so the evening can be a big catch up event, although anyone can of course attend, as long as they buy a ticket!'
The event often raises £500 to support our work with children and young people.
If you'd like to ask the Kenilworth committee a question, please contact us.
You could also
- Ask if you can organise collections at your theatre and join our Collection for Children.
- Instead of being theatrical, be musical - get bands together in your area and hold a band night.
- Ask your local school if they could do a collection at their school play.
- Download our fundraising guide for groups and committees, which contains numerous tips and resources for organising your own event
If you've organised this type of event and have tips, please let us know - leave a comment below.