How to make a Christingle
What you'll need:
- 1 orange
- 1 candle*
- Sheet of foil
- Red tape*
- 4 cocktail sticks
- Selection of dried fruit and sweets
- Pair of scissors
* These resources will be available for free, beginning in September. If you request our free Christingle guide, we will also send you an email to let you know when our resources are available.
- Make sure adults supervise young children throughout.
- Encourage everyone to wash their hands before handling the sweets and fruit.
- Take an orange and fasten a piece of red sticky tape around the middle.
- Cut a small cross in the top of the orange and lay a square of silver foil (75mm or 3 inches square) over it.
- Place a candle on top of the foil and wedge it firmly into the orange (the foil should catch the hot wax as it drips).
- Load four cocktail sticks with a mixture of dried fruits or sweets so that the points are covered and insert around the base of the candle.
- Store your Christingles upright in a cool place. Don’t make them too far in advance as they don’t keep for long.
Instructions on building a Christingle, as well as planning and fundraising for your Christingle celebration will be available from our resource centre from 1 September. We'll also have a wide range of related activities and games to interest and inspire children during your celebrations.
Get our guide
If you request our free Christingle guide, we will also send you an email to let you know when our resources are available.