How to make a Christingle
What you'll need:
- 1 orange
- 1 candle
- Sheet of foil
- Red tape
- 4 cocktail sticks
- Selection of dried fruit and sweets
- Pair of scissors
- Make sure adults supervise young children throughout.
- Encourage everyone to wash their hands before handling the sweets and fruit.
- Take an orange and fasten a piece of red sticky tape around the middle.
- Cut a small cross in the top of the orange and lay a square of silver foil (75mm or 3 inches square) over it.
- Place a candle on top of the foil and wedge it firmly into the orange (the foil should catch the hot wax as it drips).
- Load four cocktail sticks with a mixture of dried fruits or sweets so that the points are covered and insert around the base of the candle.
- Store your Christingles upright in a cool place. Don’t make them too far in advance as they don’t keep for long.
Guides on how to plan and fundraise for your Christingle celebration will be available from our resources centre from 1 September. You will also find a whole range of activities and games to keep children interested and inspired.