A very simple and effective way of supporting us is to keep one of our collection boxes in your home. These regular and reliable funds help us raise over £2 million each year.
The Goring carrot cake
Derek Quelch, Executive Chef at The Goring Hotel London has kindly donated a delicious cake recipe fit for a queen. Why not try out Derek’s recipe and sell slices at your Bake and Brew event?
- 12g baking powder
- 250g soft flour
- 8g sodium bicarbonate
- 6g ground clove
- 6g ground cinnamon
- 300g soft light brown sugar
- 425g grated carrot
- 125g sultanas
- 100g broken walnuts
- 180g vegetable oil
- 3 Whole eggs
- Sieve the baking powder, soft flour, sodium bicarbonate, ground clove and cinnamon together.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the vegetable oil until emulsified.
- Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Add the carrot, walnuts and sultanas.
- The mixture will be quite wet, this is normal.
- Place in a baking tray or loaf tin and bake in a pre heated oven at 160-180ºC for 20-30 minutes depending on the size of baking tin.
- To check if the cake is cooked put the blade of a small knife into the cake and pull it out again. If the knife is clean and dry then the cake is cooked.
- Allow to cool in tin then remove.
- When cool you can garnish with icing and store at room temperature in an airtight container.