A very simple and effective way of supporting us is to keep one of our collection boxes in your home. These regular and reliable funds help us raise over £2 million each year.
Easy customisable cupcakes
Easy cupcakes from ‘You Can Cook’ DK
This is a basic cupcake recipe. You can change the ingredients slightly to make different-flavoured cakes, or add all sorts of icings and decorations so every cake is a mini masterpiece.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 110g butter at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2 eggs (medium)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl; and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla and add to the bowl. Beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Fillings and flavours
Add a filling to the cupcake by cutting a cone from the middle of each cake with a serrated knife. Fill the hole with jam, lemon curd or one of these fabulous fillings:
Raspberry and chocolate cupcakes: Fill each cake with 1tsp seedless raspberry jam and ice with chocolate buttercream.
Lemon cupcakes: Fill each with 1tsp lemon curd. Ice with lemon buttercream.
Caramel cupcakes: Fill each with 1tsp dulche de leche, ice with a single quantity of vanilla buttercream and top with sliced banana
Chocolate cream cupcakes: Mix 75g mascarpone with 2tbsp double ceam and quarter tsp vanilla. Put 1tsp of this in the centre of each cupcake. Ice with chocolate buttercream.
Then...ice the cake with buttercream icing.
It’s the icing that makes them special. Swirl it on using a piping bag and nozzle but practise on a plate first.
Plain buttercream: beat 110g (4oz) butter until soft, then beat in 110g (4oz) icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
Vanilla buttercream: add 1/2tsp vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Lemon buttercream: beat in 1tbsp lemon juice - add 1tsp at a time and taste after each addition.
Chocolate buttercream: beat in 1/4tsp vanilla, 60g (2oz) melted and cooled milk chocolate and 2tbsp cocoa powder.