A very simple and effective way of supporting us is to keep one of our collection boxes in your home. These regular and reliable funds help us raise over £2 million each year.
Cherry Cola Cupcakes
Cherry cola cupcake recipe donated by sugarshack.co.uk
You must be thinking, cola in a recipe? But trust us it works; the cola is used as a rising agent, and the flavour comes through slightly within the sponge. The cherry icing is soft, but not to pungent, and there to make you go mmmmmm. The cola glaze is the one thing you will need to make more of, as you will be licking half the bowl before it’s gone on top of the cherry icing. Why not hold a competition and ask people to make a donation to guess the hidden ingredient?
Makes: 12-14 cupcakes
Preparation + Cooking Time: 20 mins + 15 mins
- 200g plain flour, sieved
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 125ml buttermilk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 125g unsalted butter
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 175ml coca cola
- 125g unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 50ml full fat milk
- 1 small slug of syrup of morello cherries
- Pale pink colouring
- 225g icing sugar, sifted
- 2tbsp butter
- 3tbsp cola
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 7.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Beat in the egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract in a large measuring jug.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, cocoa and cola, heating it gently. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients, stir well with a wooden spoon, and then add the liquid ingredients from the jug, beating it until all is incorporated.
- Pour into a muffin tin that has been greased and lined with cases and bake for 15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out relatively clean.
- For the icing, put the unsalted butter into an electric mixer and begin to blitz on a slow speed. Add the icing sugar, a spoonful at a time, add milk if the frosting becomes too dry. Pour in the syrup, a little at a time and tint the frosting a pale pink. Leave to mix for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- For the glaze: sieve the icing sugar and set aside. In a saucepan combine the butter, cola, and cocoa powder and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and spoon in the sieved icing sugar, beating, until you have a good spreadable, but still runny, icing.
- Pour over the iced cupcakes, and allow it to dribble along the sides. Top with a cola bottle and a cherry.