Find out about our programmes and services in London
We have worked in London since 1881, combining a local charity's responsiveness and knowledge of the community with the influence of our national organisation.
London is a hyper-diverse city, with a shifting population and constantly changing demographic. However, our research shows that the areas of London which suffer from the highest levels of poverty and deprivation have done so for a number of decades, and that these are inextricably linked to a number of other indicators, including poor educational outcomes, high levels of crime and poor health outcomes.
Today, 592,000 children – 37% of all children in the capital – live below the poverty line. We are committed to transforming these young lives by:
- understanding local need
- building on the strengths and expertise of our organisation
- working in collaboration with our partners in the area, which include local authorities, the police, health authorities and churches
- mobilising the commitment of our staff, volunteers and supporters.
We will work in an integrated and concentrated manner to provide the greatest possible impact on the lives of children and young people. This involves delivering innovative and sustainable programmes of work focused on addressing childhood poverty and adolescent neglect.
Our work in London
Our work in London encompasses the following services and activities:
- Supporting children and families
- Fundraising and donating
- Commissioning and partnering with us
Among the new things that we will be doing are:
- campaigning on local issues so we can achieve tangible change on the issues that matter most to the children and teenagers we work with. Sign up to be a campaigner to be the first to find out more
- increasing our volunteer network in the area
- supporting children and families
Support for children and families
We provide support to children and young people facing difficult issues, and to parents and carers dealing with the challenges of family life. These include:
Our local fundraising team works with our brilliant groups, committees, supporters and other partners to raise the money which is so vital to our work.
There are many ways you can help, such as donating at one of our shops, volunteering (more on this below) or doing a trek or triathlon to raise funds.
In 2007, the London Marathon became a Guinness world record breaker as the largest single annual fundraising event in the world. That record has been broken every year since, with £53.2m raised in 2014. This event is a key fundraising time for The Children’s Society, and April 2015 saw 80 dedicated supporters taking on the marathon for us, and each aiming to raise £2,000.
Other London events include the Bupa London 10,000 in May, a 10K run around central London streets, a fancy dress Santa 5k fun run, in Greenwich Park, in December or a 100 mile cycle ride between London and Surrey in the RideLondon-Surrey 100 in August.
We have hundreds of volunteers across Greater London who play their part in our mission through the giving of their time, skills and expertise.
Volunteers across Greater London support our work in a wide range of roles:
- Befriending disabled young people to be more independent
- Supporting young refugees who are facing destitution in London
- Assisting in the running of one of our retail shops
- Organising fundraising events
- Representing us within the clergy of their Church of England diocese
- Supporting with the administration of our projects
- Volunteering in our central teams in our head office
- Supporting a young people’s group
- Delivering passionate talks to raise awareness and funds to support our work
- Coordinating networks of donation boxes in their local communities
Without this incredible network of committed volunteers we could not have anywhere near the impact we do in London and across the country.
Commission us and partner with us
Many local authorities and other organisations have chosen us to help them deliver their services in London and the East of England. This is because we understand the unique challenges commissioners face in meeting the needs of children, young people and their families.
We have 130 years of working with the most disadvantaged and vulnerable groups in society - which has enabled us to develop a range of child centred, creative and innovative solutions to assist local authorities in meeting their objectives. Our service delivery is evidenced based and focused on delivering the best outcomes for children, families and communities.
We are committed to engaging with commissioners so that together we can bring about positive change in people’s lives and empower them in the process. We bring to the table a wide portfolio of expertise and a well-established infrastructure that enables us to respond flexibly to need.
If you want to know more about how we can support you in delivering services please contact:
Errol John, Business Development Lead, London and East England
We have eight shops in the London area:
- Haynes End
- North Chingford
- South Woodford
- West Hampstead
Our Hub address is:
London E15 4BQ
020 8221 8200