Essex Young People's Drug and Alcohol Service
Programme manager: Kerry Horner
Essex Young People's Drug and Alcohol Service (EYPDAS) is based in Chelmsford but works across Essex, supporting young people up to their nineteenth birthday, and their families, who are affected by drugs and alcohol, whether it’s their own use or someone else’s. Our support is free and confidential and is there whether you need it once a week or more.
The Children's Society became involved with the project (originally called Drugwatch) in 1986, after it had been operating for a year. The project has now been part of The Children's Society for over 20 years.
If you need our help but can't get to us then we'll get to you. Our workers will arrange the best time and place to meet so that you can feel comfortable and safe. We work to a harm reduction model, with a needs-led approach, in which young people are encouraged to participate in the development and review of their individual care plans.
In this respect, EYPDAS works alongside clients on the issues and topics that they wish to be supported in. Teams within EYPDAS include:
- Substance Intervention Team – they offer primarily assessments, one-to-one counselling and support
- Offender Related Service – they work directly with the four youth offending teams in Essex
- Drug and Alcohol Referral Team – they work with and for Children Looked After
- Schools liaison workers – they deliver the work of EYPDAS to schools in the locality
- Outreach Team – they deliver programmes on drug education and prevention
- Open access, helpline and needle exchange service.
- Drug and Alcohol Referral Team – they work with, and for Children Looked After
Chelmsford Grand Award grant
EYPDAS have been shortlisted for the Chelmsford Grand Award monthly grant.
The Chelmsford Grand Awards is a new awards scheme for local voluntary and community groups active in the borough of Chelmsford. It was created to recognise and support the many small groups doing big things in the community.
The award would enable the EYPDAS gym group project to expand into the Chelmsford area. The £1,000 being used to fund the young peoples initial inductions as well as regular, weekly attendance at the gym.
We need your votes to win the grant so please visit www.chelmsfordgrandawards.co.uk/vote by 30 June to vote.