Lewisham Children's Centres
The Children’s Society is delivering early years services in 8 children’s centres across Lewisham, in partnership with the Pre-School Learning Alliance. They provide a range of family support services, access to information, learning and child development activities and much more for the whole family.
Our aim is to give every child the best start in life by ensuring that all children are fully included and able to access Early Years education in their local community. Children’s centres provide a safe environment where children under five can get involved in a range of play and learning activities.
What can I do at a children’s centre?
Each children’s centre setting is different and responds to the needs of the community it serves. They offer a variety of core services that include:
- Early Years - Good quality early years provision (5 days per week, 48 weeks a year).
- Inclusion - Support for all children and parents including those with additional needs.
- Parents - Parent support including toy libraries, parent and toddler groups and parenting programmes.
- Child-minding: A base for a child minding network and/or a child minding group.
- Employment Support - Effective links with Jobcentre Plus, local training providers, further and higher education providers.
- Outreach - Services in our local neighbourhoods and home visiting.
- Family Support – a range of one to one support that promotes and safeguards the welfare of families and young children
- Health - Child and family health services, including antenatal and postnatal services.
- Information - Local advice and information for parents on a range of services, i.e. benefits, childcare and support.
What support is available for my family?
Our family support team provides a range of services to families in Lewisham. We have dedicated workers who work with families on a one to one basis. You can 'self-refer' by speaking to one of our Children's Centres team members at your nearest centre or ask your health visitor to make a referral on your behalf.
Our outreach team works directly with families in the community and provides access and direct links to services available in Lewisham. The team is available and on hand to assist children and families across Lewisham find and access the services and support they need to improve their life chances.
What help can I get for me as an adult?
For more information about:
- Job club
- Managing your money
- Counselling and support
- Keeping children safe
- Adult learning
- 2 year old child care places
Or any other type of family support, contact us on 020 8691 1064.
Where can I find you?
We manage eight children's centres covering 10 wards in Lewisham. They are split into two areas, as below:
Area 1, wards include: Evelyn, New Cross, Telegraph Hill and Brockley
Area 2, wards include: Blackheath, Ladywell, Crofton Park, Lewisham Central, Lee Green and Rushey Green
We deliver services via and are in partnership with:
St Donatts Hostel
118 St Donatts Road
St James Family
47 Burnt Ash Hill
New Cross Gate Trust
Besson Street Gardens
To see the full range of activities on offer see our January – March 2014 timetable