Collection boxes

Box holders raise £2m annually from collecting change. Whether you collect on your own or as part of a group, we’d love to have your support.

Experiences of Children

Both The Children’s Society and Bail for Immigration Detainees work directly with children and families in immigration detention, providing much-needed legal and welfare support. As a result, we have heard first hand the appalling effects of detention on children.

Below is a small selection of quotes from those who have experienced detention.

National Bodies on OutCry!

'Detaining children for administrative reasons is never likely to be in their best interests or to contribute to meeting the Government’s outcomes for children under the Every Child Matters framework. The administrative detention of children for immigration purposes should therefore end.'
The Children's Commissioner for England

Authors on OutCry!

With thanks to citizens campaign End Child Detention Now

'What kind of country are we? Our government ratifies the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child but locks up children refused asylum on our shores. When shall we face the mirror of shame?'
Beverley Naidoo, Carnegie Medal-winning novelist

Early years

The Children's Society is the responsible body for management of many children's centres across England.


The Training and Consultancy Unit has specific expertise in consulting with disabled children and young people and their families on a broad range of issues.

Our expertise

The Training and Consultancy Unit has specific expertise in consulting with a wide range of children and young people.

About the campaign

boy playing with crayonsOutCry! - The campaign to end immigration detention of children

Thirteen years of age. Woken up and handcuffed. Confused. Thrown into a caged van and driven to a detention centre surrounded by barbed wire. Frightened. Locked up without having committed a crime - in the heart of the English countryside.


We launched our well-being work in 2005 to fill a gap in research regarding young people's views of well-being.