Learn more about The Debt Trap, our campaign to end debt's damaging effects on children.
The World's Biggest Christmas Stocking
On Friday 14th December, the Children's Society set a new record for the Worlds Biggest Christmas Stocking. An adjudicator from the Guinness World Records measured it at 32.56m (in the leg) by 14.97m (heel to toe), smashing the last record set by a group in Canada just weeks ago. Thousands of knitted red squares were sent in by supporters who were sponsored to knit to raise money for the Children's Society. We beat our target for squares and raised a staggering £14,000 which will be used to ensure that every child has a good childhood.
The massive stocking weighed the equivalent of 5 reindeer, was as long as 3 double decker buses and we had nearly 1000 presents to fill it with. The presents will be given to children in our projects around the country.
It was a mammoth effort and so many people made enormously valuable contributions. Thanks are due to:
- Everyone who knitted red squares and sent them in
- All the volunteers to took squares away to sew and came along to the church in the last week
- The American InterContinental University for making the 'heel'
- The London College of Fashion for sewing squares together
- St Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, for the use of the church for sewing the stocking together
- The ExCel, London, for the use of their venue
- British Felt Ltd for the donation of felt for the top of the stocking
- Fairway PSD Ltd for the donation of boxes and presents and help with the logistics
- The children of Fosters Primary School for being our wonderful elves (which you can see in the picture)