map of the UK with differently coloured areas that indicate unique schemes

Use our map to learn about local assistance in your area.

Prior to April, community care grants were available to support people who need support to live independently in the community. Crisis loans were available to provide help with short term needs in a crisis. 

These two forms of support for general living expenses were abolished from 1 April last year. New local provision of these will be administered by local authorities in England and the devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales. If the welfare reform bill becomes law, changes will be applied in Northern Ireland this autumn.

The funding provided for establishing local welfare assistance schemes has been provided on a non-ringfenced basis, which has resulted in local authorities across the country establishing different schemes of provision. (Read more about the effects of the end of crisis loans and community care grants in our new report on changes to emergency support.)

For as many local authorities as possible, our table below provides links to local information about local welfare assistance schemes that are available across the UK. Where possible, we linked to pages providing information about eligibility and making an application.

Please use our map and find out about local assistance in your area.

Other help available

Budgeting loans are available through the DWP to help claimants who have been on an income-related benefit for at least 26 weeks. The loans help cover costs of essential items for which it is difficult to budget. More information is on the website.

If you are in financial need because of a delay on dealing with a claim, or making payment of a benefit award you may be able to get a short term advance. Find out more on the Turn2Us website.

Find your local welfare assistance scheme

We have information about local welfare assistance schemes across the UK.

Our map contains information about schemes across the UK. In Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, the schemes are country-wide, while in England all local authorities have their own schemes.

If you are unable to view the map, you can download the list as a PDF. (If you are unsure of your local authority, use Directgov's tool.)

If you have any further information about any of the schemes where we have listed as 'information unavailable' or if you notice that any of the links provided are no longer working, please let us know and we'll update the map.


Get involved

Tell your MP that no child should have to grow up in a cold home - join us to make the warm home discount automatically available to all families with children living in poverty.

Button that reads 'Join in'



This page has been updated since its original publication date.

By Sam Royston - Policy Adviser
Sam Royston
- Policy team


Hi, in a bit of a crisis really.... My boyfriend could be out of prison in Sep or Jan. Just wondering because he is going to be bailed to my address and we are going to be living together what help can we get finance wise whilst he is looking for work. I currently claim housing benefit and income support because I am 19 and still in full time education, however when he comes to live with me the housing benefit will probably get cut or stopped because I will no longer be a single occupier of the household. What can we get finance wise to help us through until he finds a job cus I can barely find the money for my rent as it is let alone eat and pay the electric, gas and water bills. I live in Keighley area Thanks
Hi, I did a postcode search on our map, which led me to this page on the Bradford council website: I hope that this is of use. But if your local authority is not able to help, please try your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You can search by postcode on the homepage of their website, I hope that you're able to find assistance. Kind regards, Matt
I am in SE England. Had all my money stopped, live alone, was on IS and DLA. Soon won't have any money to get to food bank. Any ideas please.
Hi, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that your situation sounds difficult. If your local authority is not able to help (if you put your postcode in the search box at the top of the map on this page, it should lead you to the relevant page on your local authority's website), please try your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You can search by postcode on the homepage of their website, I hope that you're able to find assistance. Matt
Hi Was just hoping for some help on getting some help with getting a new dishwasher and washing machine as I am disabled and a mother of four young children but dont seem to be able to find anything on website to get any help thanks
You could apply for a budgeting loan, which you have to pay back. Its interest-free too.
Hi, Thanks for your question. If your local authority is not able to help (if you put your postcode in the search box on the map, that should lead you to the relevant page on your local authority's website), please try your local Citizens Advice Bureau, I hope that you're able to find assistance. Matt
I live in Hampshire England and am in need of applying for a crisis loan a food bank isn't going to put electric on and even even if I got a job a month or two without heat or electric and food is their a scheme in Southampton I can apply for cash like a crisis loan because if their is no one is advertising it thanks . jo
Hi Jo, Do these links help? You mentioned both Hampshire and Southampton in your message. I hope that one is of use to you. The Hampshire County Council website offers local welfare assistance: The Southampton City Council provides this explanation of how it is dealing with changes to the Social Fund: I'm also checking with our policy team about additional recommendations. I'll send those your way when I receive them. Kind regards, Matt
Hi, I've been told that I'm only entitled to a bed and a microwave by the Calderdale Local Authority. This is for a wholly unfurnished property rented from a private landlord. I suffer from arthritis to my hip(I'm awaiting a renewed total hip replacement after the firsfailed) and back and a number of mental health Thaproblems. I have applied for a budgeting loan and was awarded £73 due to previous crisis loans when they stopped my benefits as my ESA is in appeal as the ATOS medical was a shambles. I understand there is no process of appeal to the LA decision. I have no money to buy an orthopedic chair let alone any luxury such as a washing machine. Are there any other options open to me? Thanks in anticipation of a reply...

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Insert Flickr images: [flickr-photo:id=5078020475,size=s]

Terms & conditions
By submitting this form, you accept our privacy policy.