Our amazing volunteers
As I write this blog a hugely exciting week of activities to celebrate National Volunteers Week is coming to a close.
We kicked off the week with an entertaining but important video from our Chief Executive, Matthew Reed, in which he volunteers in some of the many ways our supporters do, such as by working one of our shops, taking part in a 'stay and play' session at one of our children's centres, helping with office work, and fundraising in the community.
Up and down the country we have thanked every single volunteer for their amazing dedication and contribution to our work. We simply could not deliver the essential services to children, young people and families if it wasn’t for the inspirational and quite honestly humbling support of every single volunteer.
Featuring and thanking our volunteers
We are running a Twitter campaign that features quotes from people who our volunteers support. This include shop customers, staff and children and families. At the same time we have released very special images of our amazing volunteers showing you exactly what they do.
Five of our inspirational volunteers shared their stories and motivations for volunteering on our blog. If you haven't read them, please have a look - they're good stories about great volunteers.
Because this was the 30th anniversary of Volunteers' Week we celebrated by going back in time and showing you photographs of what volunteering was like 30 years ago.
Other activities include:
- A special pack sent to each of our prorgrammes, shops and locations across the country where our volunteers give their time, featuring resources for all of our teams to celebrate Volunteers' Week.
- On 1 June we launched our annual volunteering survey, asking all of our volunteers to fill it in and tell us how we can improve their volunteering experience.
- We completed our first ever piece of volunteering impact research at a volunteer led youth club - we will share that soon.
- We ran two very special regional thank you events in Manchester where volunteers from across the regional came together for an afternoon tea party.
- At our headquarters, we re-named our staff room after Betty Wheel, a beloved volunteer who passed away recently, and invited her family and friends in for the naming ceremony
- At our shops, we played thank-you messages on our audio systems hourly, thanking our incredible shop volunteers - we also displayed thank-you messages on our tills and receipts.
Our amazing volunteers
As our final sign off for Volunteers' Week 2014 I’d like to share our new volunteering infographic that showcases the difference our volunteers made last year.
To each and every one of you, thank you.
If you aren't yet a volunteer and would like to become one, we also created a collection of volunteering activities that you can do in 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 30 hours, 30 days, 30 weeks and 30 months. Have a look and join in!