Learn more about The Debt Trap, our campaign to end debt's damaging effects on children.
Join our conference in Kent on safeguarding disabled young people
In association with the Kent Safeguarding Children's Board, we are co-hosting a day-long, multi-agency conference, Raising the awareness of the safeguarding needs of disabled children and young people, on 27 September.
Chaired by Maggie Blyth, Chair of the Kent Local Safeguarding Children’s Board, the aims of the day are to:
- share knowledge and experience of good practice relating to participation, advocacy and safeguarding of disabled children and young people
- improve knowledge and understanding of communication skills and techniques for use with disabled children and young people
- improve understanding of how organisational practice can support and safeguard disabled children and young people.
The keynote speaker will be Ruby Thomas, Head of Safeguarding at The Children’s Society. (Find details and how to register.)
Who should attend?
This multi-agency conference is ideal for:
- practitioners and carers that provide services for disabled children in Kent
- multi-agency practitioners working with disabled children
- managers of staff who work with disabled children worried about safeguarding issues
The day's sessions include:
- Participation - a session led by a young person
- Creative communication with disabled children and young people
- The experiences of parents
- Advocacy and disabled children and young people
- Sexual exploitation of disabled children and young people
- Managing risks - for managers
When: 9.30-16.00, Thursday 27 September 2012
Where: Hilton Hotel, Bearsted Road, Maidstone, ME14 5AA
Cost: £75.00 per delegate (the first 50 places are £50), including lunch and refreshments
To register: Use the signup form on the Kent Safeguarding Children Board website.