Jim Davis MBE
Jim Davis was a panel member of The Good Childhood® Inquiry, an independent inquiry tasked with determining what makes for a good childhood in the 21st Century.
Jim has worked for The Children’s Society for 29 years in community work, youth work and social work. His current role as Good Childhood Advisor aims to support a positive change in public attitudes toward children and young people. He has published research into the experiences of children experiencing poverty in rural communities and on work with New Age Travellers.
He is a board member of the Youth and European Social Work Forum, a network of NGO’s and statutory organisations from across Europe exploring the participation of socially excluded young people in society.
Jim was made an MBE, for his services to children and young people, in the Queen's New Years Honours list in January 2012.
Areas of expertise
- Good Childhood Inquiry
- Children in rural communities
- Travellers and nomads
Recent speaking engagements
- Diocesan youth and children’s conference (October 2011) - Keynote speaker
- Raising Super Heroes, Hertfordshire Children Centre Conference - Keynote speaker on The Good Childhood Inquiry and ran a workshop on listening to young people.
- NCB Health and Well Being Conference, Kings Fund, London - Keynote on the Good Childhood
- Somerset CC, Children’s Directorate Residential Conference, Exmouth - After dinner speech on the Good Childhood
- Chester, Anglican Secondary Heads Annual Conference - Keynote address
- Dorset and Hampshire, Barnardo’s staff conference - Good Childhood presentation
- South West Anti Bullying Alliance Regional Conference - Keynote address
- Bristol cathedral, Sex Education conference - Good Childhood presentation