Matthew Reed, Chief Executive of The Children’s Society, said:
'Although it is important that the government is focussing its attention on the need to help families with childcare, it is of great concern that the poorest families are once again being missed out.
'Only around a fifth of the money earmarked by government will go to the country’s low to middle income families receiving help through Tax Credits or Universal Credit.
'Effective support with childcare is crucial to help families move out of poverty by making work pay. By failing to target those most in need, the government has once again missed a crucial opportunity to help move children out of poverty.'
For more information, please call Beth Herzfeld in The Children’s Society media team on 020 7841 4422, 07775 812 357 or email email@example.com. For out-of-hours enquiries please call 07810 796 508.
Notes to editors
• 3.6 million children in the UK are living in poverty.
• Six in 10 children living in poverty are in low-income working families.
• Of the £950 million the government has announced it will provide for additional support with child care, only £200 million will go to the country’s low to middle income families receiving help through Tax Credits or Universal Credit. The full details of childcare support for families on this support is yet to be announced.
• The government’s proposals are to spend £750 million to cover up to 20% of childcare costs for households not receiving Universal Credit and with no one in the household earning more than £150,000. This will be introduced from 2015.
• The Children’s Society wants to create a society where children and young people are valued, respected and happy. We are committed to helping vulnerable and disadvantaged young people, including children in care and young runaways. We give a voice to disabled children, help young refugees to rebuild their lives and provide relief for young carers. Through our campaigns and research, we seek to influence policy and perceptions so that young people have a better chance in life.