Celebrity designs set a new BENCHmark for childhood
11 August 2008
The Children’s Society today launches National Picnic Week to celebrate the nation’s favourite summer pastime with a set of bespoke picnic benches designed by celebrities and personalities. The benches, each hand painted, have been transformed into modern works of art to launch National Picnic Week 2008, which runs this week from 11-17 August.
Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, Linda Barker, Meg Mathews, Wayne Hemingway, Ella Doran and Scott Henshall have all designed a bench, reflecting their favourite aspect of picnics and spending time outdoors. Children from The Children's Society's Genesis project in South London have also created a bench design to sit alongside the celebrity exhibits. The benches will be auctioned off at the end of the week to raise money for the charity, while others will be donated to the charity's projects.
The Children's Society is calling on families and friends to hold a picnic during National Picnic Week especially for childhood. Picnics are a great way to spend quality time together, relaxing, playing games and creating new childhood memories.
Notes to Editors:
For more information please contact Anil Ranchod/ Paul Martin at The Children’s Society Press Office on 0207 841 4422.
* The Children's Society is a national charity driven by the belief that every child deserves a good childhood. To that end it provides vital help and understanding for those children who face the greatest danger, discrimination or disadvantage; children who are unable to find the support they need anywhere else. Visit www.childrenssociety.org.uk
* National Picnic Week is designed to promote picnics to families as an easily accessible, cheap and fuss free activity which involves all the family, as well as friends, and provides an opportunity for families to spend time together and contribute to a good childhood for all the children involved.
* Each designer involved in the picnic bench project has genuinely created their own original design for this activity in support of the charity and were not paid to participate
* The picnic benches are standard sized family benches at 128cm x 140cm x 70cm
* Genesis offers support to schoolchildren helping to improve their attendance, increase their confidence and offer them new opportunities in life.