Posted: 18 July 2013

Use our map to find your local welfare assistance scheme

Use our map to learn about local assistance in your area.



Important update: Funding for Local Welfare Assistance is under threat from government cuts.

There is a short time - until 21st November - to change the Government's mind on this. Please take two minutes to add your name and tell the Government to save this vital safety net.



Prior to April, community care grants were available to support people who need support to live independently in the community. Crisis loans were available to provide help with short term needs in a crisis. 


These two forms of support for general living expenses were abolished last year. New local provision of these will be administered by local authorities in England and the devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales. If the welfare reform bill becomes law, changes will be applied in Northern Ireland this autumn.

The funding provided for establishing local welfare assistance schemes has been provided on a non-ringfenced basis, which has resulted in local authorities across the country establishing different schemes of provision. (Read more about the effects of the end of crisis loans and community care grants in our new report on changes to emergency support.)

For as many local authorities as possible, our table below provides links to local information about local welfare assistance schemes that are available across the UK. Where possible, we linked to pages providing information about eligibility and making an application.

Please use our map and find out about local assistance in your area.

Other help available

Budgeting loans are available through the DWP to help claimants who have been on an income-related benefit for at least 26 weeks. The loans help cover costs of essential items for which it is difficult to budget. More information is on the website.

If you are in financial need because of a delay on dealing with a claim, or making payment of a benefit award you may be able to get a short term advance. Find out more on the Turn2Us website.

Find your local welfare assistance scheme

We have information about local welfare assistance schemes across the UK.

Our map contains information about schemes across the UK. In Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, the schemes are country-wide, while in England all local authorities have their own schemes.

If you are unable to view the map, you can download the list as a PDF. (If you are unsure of your local authority, use Directgov's tool.)

If you have any further information about any of the schemes where we have listed as 'information unavailable' or if you notice that any of the links provided are no longer working, please let us know and we'll update the map.


Get involved

For families getting back on their feet after an emergency, Local Welfare Assistance schemes can be the difference between a temporary financial crisis – like dealing with a broken boiler - and a spiral into debt and outright destitution.

Tell the Government to save this vital safety net:

Take action now to protect the line of defence for children



This page has been updated since its original publication date.

By Sam Royston - Policy team

Add comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.


Your local authority should provide 'local welfare provision'. Essential items such as: cooker, washer, fridge, freezer, bed. There may also be a community awareness programme to asist you with furniture. If you have access to the internet freecycle sites have some ok stuff.

Hi I'm a single mum currently living in south london and I recently received a eviction notice. I've had hundreds of issues since living here and to be honest I just want to move but I'm having difficulty raising my deposit and rent in advance. I don't really know if my local authority will help due to making myself homeless. Is there any other help and I only have 2weeks

In need of advice really. Me and my husband are separating, our 1 year old will be living with me. We have a joint claim for jsa and child tax credits.
jsa is fortnightly and tax credits weekly. As it is joint i will need to make a separate claim but what will happen in the mean time whilst its processing. Will i be left with no money??

Reliable loan offer !!!

Here is an opportunity for those in financial problem and those who want financial uplift in their life, we give out loan at a very reasonable interest rate of 2%, we give out all kind of loan to help the nation from financial stress. Many are suffering and needs help to improve their life status, many are jobless and need financial help to start a business, many needs financial help to clear their bills and debt. Here is a wise decision for you now. Our loan offer is unsecured loan which means there is no collateral involved.

As a loan seeker you are eligible to apply for loan with the following contact below.

Name: Alex Moore

Hi i am a 17 year old girl with an almost two year old son. I was bought up in care (social services were involved) my mum kicked me out in febuary, and since then i have been homeless, i have been to my local authority and they are saying that they can not do anything to help me at all untill im 18. I have made a new claim for tax credits and income support and they are saying it can take anything from 3-6 weeks till i start receiveing it, im currently staying with my boyfriends sister just so that my son has a roof over his head. I have no funds at the moment at all and need to get somewhere to stay asap as the social services are now involved again for my son and are threatning to take him off me as i dont have an address of my own but what am i to do if my local authority wont help me untill im 18 ?? (My local autority is bexley) please help as im REALLY desperate)

Hi i have recently gotten homeless i live in homeless accomidation in kirkby in ashfield provided by ashfield council i am just about to get a property i have three small children all i own is a cot fridgefreezer kettle i have no bed for me ir my children no carpets curtsins or anything else to put in my new home when i get it i can only get 120 of budgeting loan as i have other lians is there any help out there for me to be provided with carpets and furniture or any household goods

Rudolf van Heerden makes it easier for the common people to fulfil with the unexpected expenses by offering the easy payday loans, as per the varied needs.

hello I am trying to find out how to apply for welfare provision scheme I used the map and it brought up a link but when I clicked on the link it said the page cannot be found I am meant to move Friday have no furniture nothing I am diabetic, epileptic severally depressed and have fibromyalgia and laving an abusive relationship so I need to find money to get help to move and to get everything I need to live its driving me mad and making me feel so ill. I don't have time to wait for a reply on here please use my email and tell me what to do asap.

Some lenders might make use of credit recommendation checks and if their cross inspecting exposes harming credit ratings to your document

then you might not obtain a funding.Here

We are highly proficient and experienced money lenders bringing forth the solution to your short-term cash flow problems such as those

unanticipated washing machine repair expenses or gym subscription charges.Here

Financial crunches are a part and parcel of life; these direct us to look toward money lenders of one sort or the other.Here